Advice for New Teachers

I can hardly believe that i am beginning my eighth year of teaching.  It doesn't seem like it has been that long.  Maybe that is because I have taught something new every year, whether a new math, vocabulary, spelling, science or way of teaching something.

We have THREE new teachers starting at our school this year.  I know for some of you that may not seem like a lot, but we are single graded through, so that was almost half of our staff.  None of the teachers are going to be first year teachers, but there are still new things to learn when move to a new school.


I am linking up with PAWSitively Teaching to share my three key words of wisdom for new teachers.  I wish that I would have known some of the things I know now then, but that is why we all learn from each other!


My first piece of advice is to find someone that you can talk to.  You want to make friends with those around you that you work with, but if possible try and make at least one really good friend.  There are going to be times when you need to vent, whether that is crying, screaming, laughing or sharing a cute story about something that happened in class.  You want to do this with someone that you know will be there for you, and someone who you can trust.


Set limits for yourself.  Your work is NEVER going to be done.  Eight years later and I think my To Do list is now longer than it was when I started teaching.  We are not super humans, we cannot do everything.  As much as we hope that we can, we can't squeeze everything into our day, night or weekend.  Set limits for yourself with how much or how often you are going to be in your classroom. Then tell someone, and have them hold you accountable.


Take a moment every day (or week) and reflect on what worked and what didn't work.  This way when it is time to start planning the next unit, month, or year you will know what worked and what didn't work.  When you take the time to do this as you go through the year, when it is time for the same activity the next year you will remember what it was that was AWESOME, and what things you need to iron out before you try again.

Good luck new teachers, or everyone getting ready to go back to school soon!  I hope these pieces of advice will come in handy for all of us!!

2 comments

  1. We have 15 new teachers coming to our school and 12 of them are new to the district (possibly new teachers.) It is about half our staff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really learned from you about setting limits! Thanks for holding me accountable friend!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top