Growth Mindsets teaching students!

I am a day late to link up with Hello Sunshine Teachers for chapter 8 of Mindsets in the Classroom, but I took the weekend off to spend with my sweet babies, and then my hubby for Father's Day!

This morning I am bringing you my insight on chapter 8!  I LOVED this chapter, and I know I've said that often, but I cannot tell you how awesome this book is and I cannot encourage you enough to go grab it and read it before you head back to the classroom this fall!


This chapter was all about how we can teach our students about the difference between growth and fixed mindsets.  It was also about introducing them into the ways that our brains work, and how the brain can grow!  There were so many great ideas in this chapter, I just kept marking them as lesson ideas!  My friend Ashley, Adventures in a First Grade Jungle, and I were texting last night, and she already has her first week of science planned thanks to this chapter!!

One of the first games that I am going to play with my class is the guessing game!  I am going to have an object in a box or a bag, that they cannot see!  Then we will take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what is in the box.  I will have to come up with an easy way to record the questions so they can see them, and write them quick enough so that way we are not wasting too much time.  This game will be a great way for them to get thinking, and to be thinking critically as they try to figure out what is in the box!

I loved that we would take it a step further later in the week, and put a sponge in the box!!  What a great way to have them guess again, and then talk about how a sponge is like our brains!!  LOVE!!

There were many recommendations for read alouds to talk about how we need to keep trying, work hard, and never give up!!  I am putting these on my amazon must purchase list this month!!


I'm excited to continue to share with my kids that it is okay to make mistakes, it is okay to fail, and that we are going to be working together to reach our best!  I don't want my students to try once and then give up!  I want them to know that I am going to be there with them every step of the way, pushing them to reach their full potential!

In case I haven't said it enough, I strongly encourage you to go purchase this book!!  You can even get the kindle edition from Amazon and it is only $10.99!!  That is the price of two Starbucks drinks!!  If you are disappointed you let me know, and I will send you a Starbucks or Amazon gift card!  I promise though, tou won't be disappointed!  

Check out what my friends at Hello Sunshine Teachers thought about this chapter too!

Hello Sunshine!

No comments

Back to Top