Teaching Beliefs

I am LOVING these books that I have been reading so far this month!  I was texting with Ashley yesterday, and I was telling her how reassuring it is doing these studies and knowing that I am not the only one who feels this way!  I did not go into teaching for an easy job, but for an opportunity to reach my students, and to help them achieve their goals.

Today I am linking up with Flying into First Grade, Mrs. Dailey's Classroom and The Primary Gal for Teaching With Intention chapter 2!


This chapter is all about beliefs and what your teaching philosophy is.  

This quote really spoke to me from the introduction, "I'm convinced that success in the classroom depends less on which beliefs we hold and more on simply having a set of beliefs that guides us in our day-to-day work with children."  I know that I am not always going to agree with what other people are doing, but I want to know that I believe in what I am doing, and that I know why I am doing what I am doing.

I know that my classroom in August doesn't look like what it will look like in May.  I have to work with my students to get them where I want them.  On page 16 Debbie explains that "when we know what we want for our kids in March, April and May, we can set about getting them there starting in September."  I love this, because if we have clear expectations of what we want to do with our students throughout the year it will help us establish our routines, ideas, and curriculum from the beginning.  Plus, it will help us explain to our students why we want them to walk quietly down the hall, why we want them to read to themselves quietly for 20 minutes, or why they need to practice writing EVERY DAY!

I have tried to move away from guiding students to the answers that I want them to have, and to listening to the answers that they are given.  I have had the opportunity to attend a few conferences were Rick Morris was speaking.  He is all about allowing multiple students to answer a given question, thank them for their answers, and not telling them if they are right or wrong right away.  This way each student has a chance to explain their answer, and can explain their thinking too!  Plus, then you can use their answers to help move on, or know where you have to reteach.

I believe that my classroom should be an environment where my students feel safe.  I want them to know that they can walk into my classroom and they won't be judged for a mistake they make, for an answer they give, for the shoes they are wearing, for what water bottle they have, or for what activities they choose to play during recess or after school.

I believe that my classroom should be a place where students are engaged.  I want my students to enjoy learning, and to be involved in what we are working on.  To do this I want them to be able to have choice in the classroom as well.  Doing the daily 5, or math centers help with these choices and help keep my kiddos engaged!

I am loving this book and can't wait for next week!!

No comments

Back to Top